Homesteading Skills to Learn This Year

 It's a new year, which typically means a chance to make new goals for the year. I love making goals and developing a strategy to accomplish them. Sometimes I am successful in reaching my goals, sometimes only partially successful in meeting my goals, and sometimes it is a big flop. Either way, successful or not, I am moving forward bit by bit. Every step forward or backwards is a learning experience. 

I am growing in my knowledge and expertise. My father-in-law always says, "The meaning of life is to accumulate knowledge and pass it on to others." I guess that is what I am doing with this blog. I am trying to grow in my knowledge in homesteading and telling others about my experience. In telling others about my experience, I hope to encourage others and inspire them on their own homesteading journey.

There are SO many homesteading skills that we can learn that it is easy to feel overwhelmed. This year I am going to work on increasing my knowledge on 5 homesteading skills. Notice I said increase my knowledge. I will not be mastering these skills. It will take a few years to become proficient at these skills. I just want to learn more about these 5 skills and experiment in using these skills this year.

  • 1. Gardening Year Around- Keep refining my ability to garden year around and producing more edible fruits and vegetables. Soil Preparation by adding naturally decomposing items to soil to enrich it so that is more fertile. Pest & Plant Disease Management: Identify and address early signs of pests and disease on plants. Hydroponic/Aquaponic Systems: Educate myself and continue experimenting with water-based systems to grow plants. 2. Food Storage: Properly storing food to ensure a sustainable supply. Rotation and Inventory Management to prevent spoilage and scarcity. Ideal Storage conditions to prevent waste. Increase knowledge of food preservation that does not require electricity such as dehydrating, fermenting, and canning. 3. Water Management- Water purification for drinking Educate myself and complete experiments on purifying well water for drinking. 4. Herbal Medicine- Learning about and utilizing medicinal plants for basic healthcare. Educate myself and complete experiments on herbal medicine. 5. Off-grid Energy Solution: Generate and manage solar power. Educate myself, install, and use solar power.



 With SO MANY homestead skills, how do you know which ones to tackle first? Narrowing down the list of homesteading skills is crucial to prioritize and focus on specific areas of interest or immediate needs. 

Here's a step-by-step guide for a homesteader to determine what skills they want to learn this year:


1. Assess Personal Interests:

Reflect on personal interests and passions within homesteading. What aspects are most exciting or fulfilling?

Consider the unique goals and vision for your homestead. Which skills align with your long-term objectives?

2. Evaluate Homestead Needs:

Identify specific challenges or gaps in your current homestead skills.

Assess what skills would address immediate needs or enhance the efficiency and sustainability of your homestead.

3. Prioritize Based on Lifestyle:

Consider your lifestyle and daily routines. Which skills align with your preferred way of living on the homestead?

Prioritize skills that seamlessly integrate into your daily activities and contribute to a more balanced lifestyle.

4. Seasonal Considerations:

Take into account the current season and climate. Some skills may be more relevant or practical during specific times of the year.

Plan to learn skills that align with the seasonal demands of your homestead.

5. Resource Availability:

Assess the availability of resources such as time, space, and budget for learning new skills.

Prioritize skills that are feasible and align with your available resources.

6. Community and Networking:

Connect with the homesteading community, either locally or online.

Seek advice from experienced homesteaders and inquire about skills that have been particularly valuable in their journey.

7. Long-Term Goals:

Consider your long-term vision for the homestead. Which skills contribute most significantly to achieving those goals?

Prioritize skills that align with the sustainability and resilience you envision for your homestead.

8. Experimentation and Trial:

Allow for experimentation and trial periods for different skills.

Start with a few skills and assess how well they fit into your lifestyle and contribute to the overall success of your homestead.

9. Flexibility and Adaptability:

Be flexible in adjusting priorities based on changing circumstances or unexpected challenges.

Embrace a continuous learning mindset and be open to adapting your skill acquisition plan.

10. Review and Adjust:

Periodically review your progress and reassess priorities.

Adjust your learning plan based on evolving needs, interests, and experiences.

By carefully considering personal interests, homestead needs, and long-term goals, a homesteader can create a focused and achievable plan for learning new skills. This approach allows for a well-rounded and purposeful homesteading experience.

Jannette Gomez
My goal is to equip you with resources, to nurture your homesteading journey!

Comments